Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Entrance Slip: October 8

Three Stops:
"In this project, students in the early years of secondary school work with a mathematics educator and a choreographer using gesture, movement and sound to focus attention on mathematically salient features of the graphs of functions"
This made me stop because I had never seen such a different method of explanation for graphs. Instead of mindlessly explaining the facts of a graph, students were able to visualize in real life what it would be, and I always feel that an explanation in the form of physical activity will allow a student to remember for longer than just learning on paper. 

"Most people are either right- or left-handed and a preference for left or right manifests in terms of feet, eyes, ears, even sides of the mouth"
Again, it was fascinating to see the explanation of axes in a different and more real-world form. It was pleasant to see that the human body could be explained to be an axis, and how being left-handed or right-handed is determined by factors. I had never known this, as I normally thought that it was purely genetic. After viewing your point I understand your point of view very clearly!

"Research on the history of graphs and grids shows that this sense of their evenness and equipotentiality is a relatively new development in Western cultures. In preRenaissance Europe, representations of orthogonal axes (particularly the Christian religious symbol of the cross) indicated spiritual hot spots of heightened power and significance."
It fascinated me that in historical times, orthogonality helped determined one's power and importance, which was huge during that time period. It is amazing that something that seems so ordinary to some, was once a very important ordeal in the past! 

Thank you for sharing your wonderful article Susan! 

No comments:

Post a Comment